Join an innovative company that serves the sustainable food & agriculture sector. Mercaris provides rigorous data and analytics, as well as a cash market trading platform for agricultural commodities that are organic, non-GMO, or are otherwise identity-preserved. We create new information and procurement tools for the agricultural supply chain, and we’re looking for a talented, mission-oriented team member to join us.
This position has the primary responsibility of maintaining relationships with Mercaris’ network of Market Survey™ participants, collecting their commodity pricing data, and using that information to generate actionable market analysis. Economist is the main point of contact between Mercaris and our network of survey participants whose data contributions are the bedrock of Mercaris’ data products. Additionally, the person in this role will contribute to other Mercaris organic commodity market research projects, and present organic market information to industry stakeholders. A typical week will likely include:
- Communicate with survey participants via phone or email to build engagement with Mercaris, and manage survey participant data contributions.
- Use data from our national identity-preserved commodity survey to produce written market commentary.
- Monitor other forms of market news to remain on-top of developing issues within U.S. identity-preserved commodity markets.
- Assist Mercaris’ Director of Economics in research for emerging agricultural commodity markets, special projects, and other Mercaris market reports.
- Assessing survey data contributions to ensure compliance with Mercaris data methodologies and IOSCO data reporting principles.
- Collect additional market information/insights from survey participants and other industry contacts.
- Produce both tight-copy, and more detailed long-form market reporting on a weekly basis.
- Provide market survey engagement and success metrics to Mercaris executives.
- Develop and present information on organic and non-GMO commodity market data to industry stakeholders.
- Master’s degree in Agricultural Economics, Economics, or related field, and 3-5 years of work experience. Or, Bachelor’s degree with demonstrated equivalent work experiences.
- Demonstrated experience with agricultural production, marketing, or procurement.
- Familiarity with macroeconomic concepts relevant to commodity markets; Knowledge of organic commodity markets will be viewed favorably.
- Strong Microsoft Excel skills required; Knowledge of SPSS, Tableau, and other data tools are a plus. Ability to work with large data files is a must.
- Excellent writing skills to translate economic concepts in a way that is easily understood by non-economists.
- Solid time management and follow-through skills, with the ability to simultaneously work on and manage multiple tasks and projects with tight deadlines.
- Excellent interpersonal communication and networking skills.
- Ability to learn new skills and information quickly.
Mercaris offers a comprehensive compensation package, including salary, 401k and insurance, and an equity stake in the company. Mercaris is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and everyone is encouraged to apply. Please send resume and cover letter to: [email protected]
Location: The position allows for flexibility in location within the US